Read our blind veterans' stories to see how we have helped them and their families discover a life beyond sight loss, and regain their independence.
We have also included the stories of some of our welfare officers so you can read about their experiences of being part of the Blind Veterans UK team.
When someone loses their sight - through injury or illness, young or old - it can be devastating for them. But our veterans and their families are proof that they can enjoy life after sight loss.
We give practical support, training, rehabilitation and equipment to help blind veterans regain their independence and live full lives.
Our welfare support and advice means that veterans and their families are always supported.
Even more importantly, we are a community with a shared experience.
You are not alone.
- Brian's story "I've become a lot more confident and I can cook properly again. Blind Veterans UK has taught me how to make a curry ...Read more >
- Kelly Hart's story At the age of 23 Kelly Hart had a stroke that caused her to lose her sight. Since that time she has been supported by...Read more >
- Elizabeth Bate's story Elizabeth Bate is known as Lil and lives in Liverpool. She has not let her battle against sight loss stop her enjoy...Read more >
- The Williams' story 'It's the camaraderie of the people I meet which helps.' - Peter Williams ...Read more >
- Alan's Story "I can't praise Blind Veterans UK enough, the support I have received has been superb" ...Read more >
- The Robinsons' story 'They have given me my independence back.' - John Robinson ...Read more >
- Douglas's Story "Blind Veterans UK helped give me independence again. The charity encouraged me to feel that having a disability does...Read more >
- The Baxters' story 'If it wasn't for my wife's strength and Blind Veterans UK, I wouldn't be alive today.' - Billy Baxter ...Read more >
- Elizabeth Dodds' story 'It is a wonderful feeling when members tell me that they thought their lives were over and that together we have giv...Read more >
- Peter Price's story 'I now feel confident to do things for myself which I never did before.' - Peter Price ...Read more >
- The Sharp's story Ray Sharp is a World War Two veteran from Boston, Lincolnshire, and has spoken about the excellent support he has rec...Read more >
- Ray East's story 'I really enjoy meeting the members, getting to know them as individuals and linking them in to other services and or...Read more >
- Bernard Hammond's story Bernard Hammond completed National Service and now suffers from age related Macular Degeneration. Bernard said "I h...Read more >
- The Walker's story "It was simple and easy to join Blind Veterans UK, the national charity for blind ex-Service men and women. I joined ...Read more >
- Steve Tuffen's story "More than anything else I appreciate the charity's help in actually taking me back to visit the Falklands" - Steve ...Read more >
- Carl Adamson's story "I probably would have never had the opportunity to do a lot of these things if I hadn't lost my sight." - Carl Adams...Read more >